Saturday, January 21, 2012

Tasting - Villa Wolf: Gewurztraminer

Name: Villa Wolf
Variety: Gewurztraminer
Bottled In: Wengerohr
Country: Germany
Year: 2010
Price: $11.29

Winery Review: Villa Wolf Gewürztraminer is clean, fruity and wonderfully light on its feet. It shows off the aromatic charm of the variety with the deliciously juicy texture and a delicate aroma of spice and fresh roses. - Villa Wolf **http://www.jlwolf.com/wines_vines.htm**

My First Impression: Finally a white wine. The name... hard to pronounce... but when our group trys to say it all we can do is laugh. All we hear in our heads..."it rhymes with ithurtsmywiener." Thanks to Boyer!

After Smelling it: YUCK! Smells like a moldy attic in a grandmas house. Atleast thats how most of us in the group described it, myself included. It has a old musty smell to it, but after swirling it around in my glass for a bit I could smell some spice and maybe a hint of flowers. So mix an old musty attic with a funeral home. Not something I really am interested in drinking now.

After Tasting it: It tastes as bad as it smells. There was a crispness citrus taste with some spice following behind it. The aftertaste was medium lived (i.e. it was bearable) and was tart/sour. However I had some buttery crackers and tasted again and that tart/sour taste was not as bad and could somewhat enjoy/finish my glass of wine. I guess I do not enjoy the taste of fresh roses with spice.

No comments:

Post a Comment